Friday, April 20, 2012

Christians Pick Potatoes for Israel

In the past few years, I have traveled to Israel five times. Without question, one of the highlights of a trip for me is taking others. I am fortunate to have my Pastor's blessing to take groups to this breathtaking land.

My goal is always to give back to the Chosen People in some way.

Photo credit: Cheryl Christmas
On our last trip in May, we worked to glean (leket) a field picking potatoes for, Leket Israel.

There is a great amount of faith involved in planting potatoes. This is a crop you do not see the fruit of your labor until harvest time as it is hidden all underground.

It was thrilling to watch the tractor drive down each row tilling the soil and watch pop up the most beautiful potatoes. Together we picked 600 lbs that afternoon, enough to feed over 1,000 people.

Leket Israel, is
the largest food bank in the state. They feed all Israelis in need; anyone that is hungry.

In the event you are going to Israel why not contact Leket and see where you can be most used. Christian groups traveling on pilgrimage or Jewish groups can all help. Perhaps, your trip organizer can add this organization to your itinerary when you visit the land.


For contact information or to donate please go to: helpfeedisrael.com to learn more about Leket Israel.

I know first hand what a wonderful blessing you would be.

Ruth 2





1 comment:

  1. This is something I'd like to participate in next time I go. Very cool, mom!

    ReplyDelete